i wanna be a nomad...

Friday, September 23, 2005

I Feel Like I'm Meeting a Movie Star

I woke up to a call from Erika this morning at around 6:30. She and her family and friends had just made it to Lufkin. After our conversation, I walked outside to see what I could see... beautiful. Wow. The air was cool and dry. The sky was a bright blue with lines of golden clouds here and there. The birds and butterflies were fluttering around and above me. It was definitely the most beautiful morning I had experienced in H-town in months.

After I went back inside, I got ready to meet Andrea and Stephen at Cafe Artiste. I was hoping that they would be open again today. As I drove down Mandell and saw cars parked in the street in front of Artiste, I was very, very happy, grateful, and excited. :) (I think Cafe Artiste should win a city award for serving YUMMY food and coffee during this time.) Breakfast was delicious, of course. Company was fabulous. Our company included a new friend named Mike. I met him when I was at Cafe Artiste yesterday. He was ready to go to Austin but, like me, was hesitant to hit the road at all because of the traffic problems. It was fun to run into him again today. I invited him to sit with us and I'm soooo glad I did. He is fabulous. :) We all laughed so much together at so many funny stories, jokes, movies, and life stuff. There was only comfort, delight, and maximum joy at our booth at Cafe Artiste. :)

After Artiste, in the mid afternoon, I went back to my apt. and once again looked up at the sky. Guess what. It was covered with lots of clouds that still had their own identities and were stacked sideways across the ceiling of the sky. Maybe there were a couple of small blue spots, but that's it. All of a sudden I realized ~ This is Rita. These clouds are the same clouds that we've been watching on the internet and on the news. They are the very same ones that were a part of the wild spiral whose name is Rita. I was in complete awe. I felt respect for her. I also couldn't believe that it was really her. It was so surreal. The only experiences that I had had before that moment that filled me with similar emotions were the times when I crossed paths with famous people... like when I saw Caroline Kennedy in my train car (less than 10 feet away from me) after the Yankees/Astros game in the Bronx a couple of years ago (same game where Basim saw me!). I really had a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that she was real and that she was right there. I was looking at the daughter of the late JFK. Whoa. And Rita.... Whoa. I feel lucky.

Nathan Herrington and I just got back from Rudyards (an old neighborhood bar). It was packed with great people. We sat on a table by the window so that we could see Rita show her stuff. We ate yummy food (mmmm-mmmm french fries) and drank yummy drinks (woodchuck granny smith apple cider is so drinkable!). I also had a cigarrette (why not?) and actually smoked the whole thing (how about that, e?!). When we walked out of Rud's, we felt our first sprinkles of Rita on our skin. Pretty cool.

We drove around the neighborhood to get a few more things done and GUESS WHAT. The air all around us became so incredibly golden yellow. It was the goldish color that I imagine is always in Italy (Barrett's friends, Peter and Rob, described the air there to me one time). And then...

R A I N B O W.

Nathan and I, in the middle of all of this golden air and light sprinkles, saw a huge and very full rainbow. Peace. Promise. He gave it to us BEFORE the storm, you guys....

sweetness, gentleness, and mercy
pouring down into our minds
in colors vibrant.

Nathan and I then took Richmond east to Montrose. I heard Nathan say, "Look behind us, Diana." I turned around and saw it. The sun was huge and glowy gold and it was sitting on Richmond. It was magnificent.

The sky continued to grow in beauty. There were dark areas and sun lit areas. Sprinkles fell all the way home.

We are now at the Herringtons and this is where we are settling. People are watching Die Hard upstairs. I see big palm tree leaves blowing around wildly outside. I also hear the movement of her outer edges. Still, it doesn't feel like a crazy storm is going to happen at all.

3 Comments:

  • sweetness is right.

    By Blogger ELS Houston, at 6:31 PM  

  • Watch for lane closures on I-90 tomorrow
    Interstate 90 will be reduced to one eastbound lane Saturday between Argonne and University.
    Hi, I was just checking out blogs and surfing through some and found you! I like your blog. I will book mark it and come back soon. If you are interested, go see my picture frame related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.picture frame

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:47 PM  

  • Dianna, thanks for sharing the way that you see things. It is a gift that not all of us have. I think that one of my favorite things is the sunset before a storm.

    By Blogger The Doctor, at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home